Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#286   ^
Old Tue, May-17-11, 14:44

Plan: Intuitive Ray Peat
Stats: 321/262.8/239 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

I think he said once you get the juice, you are supposed to scramble it up, like a scrambled egg. Can't say anything about this idea appeals to me!

Cathy
Sponsored Links
  #287   ^
Old Fri, May-20-11, 20:30

Plan: Ray Peat
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hello!
I am new to Ray Peat and to this forum...and have tryed the "scrambled potato juice". It's amazing how it behaves like mashed potatoes, but the taste... well... not really very attarctive!
BiBa
  #288   ^
Old Fri, May-20-11, 20:46

Plan: none!
Stats: 190/190/190 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default sugar

Hello! I am glad to see this forum, and that some of you are doing very well with your health. I happened to come across this page because I noticed it was directing traffic to my blog.

Do you have a good way to eat white sugar? I've been making marshmallows.
  #289   ^
Old Fri, May-20-11, 21:23

BF:

Welcome Andrew and Biba!

Can you share your marshmallow recipe, Andrew? I took a stab at it and the results were NOT impressive.

As for sugar, I usually have it in the form of Haagen Dazs, and also frequently make "jello" with orange juice or cherry juice and gelatin and add sugar to that.

Cathy
  #290   ^
Old Fri, May-20-11, 22:19

Plan: modified Peat
Stats: 202/214/180 Female 62.5 inches
BF:
Progress: -55%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy B.
I think he said once you get the juice, you are supposed to scramble it up, like a scrambled egg. Can't say anything about this idea appeals to me!

Cathy

I just liked the idea of eating ketoacids........and the healing properties for the digestion........but it doesn't make sense to buy a juicer just to try something I may either hate, or be unable to eat due to allergy.

I've been doing somewhat ok with some white/yellow potato but knee pain does seem to be gradually increasing, so need to lay off for a while.
Sweet potato doesn't cause me any problems, or none I've noticed anyway. Yummy cut into strips and oven fried in refined coconut oil.
sol
P.S. Can't believe it but I'm getting tired of ice cream.
  #291   ^
Old Sun, May-22-11, 12:15

Plan: none!
Stats: 190/190/190 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress:

.I use the Joy of Cooking recipe, but used sugar instead of syrup.
  #292   ^
Old Sun, May-22-11, 13:17

BF:

Thanks, Andrew. Most marshmallow recipes call for sugar and corn syrup. Did you use sugar and then substitute a simple syrup (sugar and water boiled down) in place of the corn syrup? Otherwise, I would think the liquid ratio would be off.
  #293   ^
Old Mon, May-23-11, 02:36

Plan: No idea
Stats: 145/-/125 Female 165
BF:
Progress: 125%

Hey there all, just wanted to let you know some update, I was a pure ZC, but last year I started having a respiratory issues, oesophagus / throat irritation, sinus blocked, not able to breath properly through my nose, coughing etc, some Dr said its due to acid reflux, I searched high and low for a cure, and I thought it maybe related to my ZC woe, I tried eating an apple last year and that helped so much, so I added fruit, this thread opened my eyes about fruit and meat woe, my respiratory issues went away like magic, I thought it could have been a coincidence, I kept going back to ZC, but each time I go back to it I getting the same issues, and have to keep adding the fruit back. So here it goes, the magic fruit is not the daemon everyone was making it to be.
  #294   ^
Old Mon, May-23-11, 09:49

Plan: modified Peat
Stats: 202/214/180 Female 62.5 inches
BF:
Progress: -55%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily1
Hey there all, just wanted to let you know some update, I was a pure ZC, but last year I started having a respiratory issues, oesophagus / throat irritation, sinus blocked, not able to breath properly through my nose, coughing etc, some Dr said its due to acid reflux, I searched high and low for a cure, and I thought it maybe related to my ZC woe, I tried eating an apple last year and that helped so much, so I added fruit, this thread opened my eyes about fruit and meat woe, my respiratory issues went away like magic, I thought it could have been a coincidence, I kept going back to ZC, but each time I go back to it I getting the same issues, and have to keep adding the fruit back. So here it goes, the magic fruit is not the daemon everyone was making it to be.

Was adding fruit the ONLY change you made to your diet? And did you add other fruits besides apple?
sol
  #295   ^
Old Mon, May-23-11, 10:10

Plan: No idea
Stats: 145/-/125 Female 165
BF:
Progress: 125%

Hi Sollyb,

Before adding fruit I used to eat mainly meat. Perhaps nuts now and again, but mainly vlc. I added all kind of fruit (banana, pineapple, mango, melon etc)
I didn't add apple because I don't like them raw very much lol. Pears are softer and I liked them better.

However, no other sugars i.e. no ice-cream.

So now I am eating just meat and fruit, oh also because of the addition, my calories went up, so most days I end up of intake between 1800 to 2000 calories.

My activity levels have become so high, today after my gym session I was ready for another session, seriously, but unfortunately I only have one hour for lunch break, so had to go back to work.

I am breathing better, sleeping like a log, and feeling so happy that I want to skip instead of walking, and my activity levels are increasing without trying...
  #296   ^
Old Mon, May-23-11, 14:12

Plan: who knows?
Stats: 372/272/172 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I'm still following this thread with great interest - though still totally up in the air about what I should be eating. I guess I need to get serious and write up a "Peat friendly" eating list if I'm going to ever give this a serious try.
  #297   ^
Old Mon, May-23-11, 15:04
Registered Member

Plan: Peat
Stats: 153/160/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:
Question Keep gaining!

Hello all,

I'm two weeks in to Peat-Eat. I have gained at least 7 pounds. I feel great, good sleep, face has cleared of acne -- but I'm bloated, retaining water, breasts are continually swollen, and I keep gaining weight.

I started Peat-Eating because of thinning hair and complete inability to lose the last 20 pounds. I had lost 65 pounds over 3 years by lower portions and working out for about 1 1/2 hours a day. But then about 2 years ago, my weight loss stopped. My hair started thinning (now I have a very receding hairline and crown, and as a woman who is only 38, very embarrassing) and my weight has boomeranged btwn 155 and 158 for 2 years. I continued my marathon workouts and started tooling around with diet, trying Primal/Paleo (felt good initially and then felt very dizzy all the time) and then low protein/high carb (felt great, but my hair loss was terrible). So now I'm Peat-Eating. I feel the best I've felt in a while, but the weight gain is making me wonder if this is right for me...

Here's a typical day:
B -- date with orange juice, piece of beef bacon with coffee (heavy cream)
snack -- coffee (heavy cream) and HD coffee ice cream (1 cup) topped with sea salt (about 1 tsp)
L -- mashed potatoes (made with beef bone broth, butter, sour cream) and cottage cheese (no fillers/grass fed) (1/2 cup) and orange juice; teaspoon of raw honey
snack -- raw carrots and milk; then about 4 pm, 1 cup HD chocolate ice cream w/sea salt
dinner -- a few pieces of grassfed beef, mashed potatoes, cheese, cottage cheese (1/2 cup), orange juice, teaspoon raw honey
evening -- smoothie made with 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup cherry juice, 1 cup frozen peaches, 1/2 cup HD vanilla ice cream

I'm taking coconut oil, selenium, buffered aspirin, magnesium, activated charcoal throughout the day/evening. I've been really trying to bulk up my protein because I was eating so little of it before and trying to kick start my thyroid, but I'm thinking I should cut back somewhere. I've been really craving the ice cream, sugars, and milk, almost to the point where I'd be fine just eating that!

I've had a few very stressful years. As the mother of a special needs son and a small business owner (all from home, I don't have help), my life continues to be stressful. I work from about 7 am until at least 11 pm and rarely take time off due to financial reasons and I'm my only employee, so I have to work very hard.

Any tips and/or suggestions very much appreciated!
  #298   ^
Old Mon, May-23-11, 15:48

BF:

Hi Lori,

Welcome! Always nice to see a new face here!

In addition to the scale, I would recommend some other tools to help you measure your progress and fine tune your food choices.

It is important to keep track of your measurements with Peat's way of eating, because you are likely to gain weight as you increase muscle mass, but your measurements may remain the same or even decrease. The extra protein, and particularly the fact that the type of protein has a lot of cholesterol, which is a precursor to the steroid hormones, means you are likely to increase muscle mass. Peat told me that it is more important to monitor the changes in your body composition with these recommendations as opposed to your weight.

Also, it is good to take your temperature at various times during the day. You can get a cheapie digital thermometer, since they are much faster. Oral temps seem to work best. You want to know your temperature as soon as you get up, and then take it after breakfast. If the temp is higher BEFORE breakfast, and lower after you eat, you will know that your cortisol levels are too high. Also, this will help you determine how your thyroid is functioning, and you can measure the improvements in your thyroid health as you continue to follow Peat's recommendations.

I don't know if you have blood sugar issues, but it is also good to monitor your blood sugar responses to your meals.

I gained 11 pounds in the first 3 months of following Peat's recommendations, then the weight stabilized. But my measurements remained the same and my waist decreased in size. I am still wearing the same clothes I wore when I started. I can tell I am much stronger, however, and I am much less prone to injury and aches and pains and strains when I exercise.

As for your hair, my hairdresser informed me that I had TONS of new hair growth (her words, not mine) after I was following Peat's recommendations for 4 or 5 months. Like you, I lost some weight and felt good initially, about 2 years ago after my diabetes diagnosis, but then the weight loss ground to a halt and I started feeling very unwell. Lost a lot of hair, my skin looked gray, my eyes were droopy, no energy, covered with psoriasis and skin rashes, constant itching, insomnia, developed food sensitivities galore. I was a wreck!
All of these have completely cleared up following Peat's recommendations.

As for the weight loss, I think if you suffer from elevated cortisol (which given your stressful schedule, would not be a surprise!), it is very difficult to lose weight. And I don't think that lowering cortisol levels is a "quick fix". I believe Peat's recommendations are good for improving thyroid function and lowering cortisol levels, and if we are patient, we might even shed a few pounds eventually! But for now, I am just happy to be feeling so much better.

If I were you, I would ask Ray Peat what he thinks of your current diet and let him know about the problems with the bloating and fluid retention. He usually will respond to emails. In general, I know that he says edema is common with hypothyroidism, and it may be that you are going through a transition where your cortisol level is dropping but your thyroid is not functioning normally yet. But that is just a "wild guess", on my part, so as I said, I would check with Dr. Peat. You can contact him through his website at raypeat.com. He may take a while to respond, but he usually does respond eventually.

I know he recommends eating the raw carrot salad by itself, not with milk or anything else. Just a raw, shredded carrot with coconut or olive oil, distilled white vinegar, and salt. The best time to consume it is between 10 and noon. If eaten later, it can interfere with sleep. I have found this makes a big difference in how I feel and in bowel function so even though it is easy to omit, it is a good idea to try to have it each day.

Also, anytime you have muscle meat, or fish, or shellfish, he recommends having some gelatin with it, because otherwise, the muscle meat or fish will suppress the thyroid. You can add it to some broth, or make a "jello" with fruit juice and have it that way.

Sugar is good for quieting down the adrenals and lowering cortisol, so if your levels are high, that may be why you find yourself craving so much sugar, ice cream, etc. It is probably what you need right now!

Keep us posted on your progress!

Cathy

Last edited by Cathy B. : Mon, May-23-11 at 15:59.
  #299   ^
Old Mon, May-23-11, 16:16
Registered Member

Plan: Peat
Stats: 153/160/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:

Wow, thanks, Cathy! It never occurred to me that my cortisol levels are dropping but my thyroid isn't functioning up to speed yet. I will email him this evening about my diet and what's going on with my body. I'll let you know what I find out...

Re: gelatin, I make my own bone broth that I put in my mashed potatoes and I take a gelatin supplement, but I'm thinking this may not be enough. I'm allergic to shellfish, so I'm somewhat limited to protein choices. I do have grassfed beef about every other day (usually for dinner) and make sure to take my gelatin along with it.

I guess for me, it's about weight loss and hair loss. I felt generally fine before, but I just couldn't lose any more weight and my hair on my crown is really thinning. I take my temps and chart them (for my menstrual cycle) and I rarely got to 98.6, even after I ovulated.

How about exercise? I was a very consistent exerciser prior but I haven't exercised in nearly two weeks (since starting Peat) and I'm confused as what if any he recommends...any ideas?

Thanks again!
Lori
  #300   ^
Old Mon, May-23-11, 17:41

BF:

Hi Lori,
This is what Ray Peat had to say about aerobic exercise in his interview with Mary Shomon. It is a very interesting interview. If you want to read the whole thing, here is the link:

http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/ray-peat.htm

Mary Shomon: You feel that excessive aerobic exercise can be a cause of hypothyroidism. Can you explain this further? How much is too much?

Dr. Ray Peat: I'm not sure who introduced the term "aerobic" to describe the state of anaerobic metabolism that develops during stressful exercise, but it has had many harmful repercussions. In experiments, T3 production is stopped very quickly by even "sub-aerobic" exercise, probably becaue of the combination of a decrease of blood glucose and an increase in free fatty acids. In a healthy person, rest will tend to restore the normal level of T3, but there is evidence that even very good athletes remain in a hypothyroid state even at rest. A chronic increase of lactic acid and cortisol indicates that something is wrong. The "slender muscles" of endurance runners are signs of a catabolic state, that has been demonstrated even in the heart muscle. A slow heart beat very strongly suggests hypothyroidism. Hypothyroid people, who are likely to produce lactic acid even at rest, are especially susceptible to the harmful effects of "aerobic" exercise. The good effect some people feel from exercise is probably the result of raising the body temperature; a warm bath will do the same for people with low body temperature."

Cathy